25 February, 2006

The Proposed Post Re: Dorothy Sayers' Books, What?

Of all the famous literary detectives, Lord Peter Wimsey is my favourite. In addition to wit and heroic courage, he is endowed with a singular talent for playing the fop. Somewhat akin to the Scarlet Pimpernel, Lord Peter cleverly hides his investigations under the guise of careless chatter. I cannot help but admire how he manipulates seemingly harmless conversations into providing exactly the information he wants. Of course, this also illuminates the genius of the author. Dorothy Sayers excelled in writing, and the creation of Lord Peter has put us in her debt forever. How anyone could come up with such marvelous characters, such detailed scenery, and such baffling mysteries, and then put all of that together in a book an intelligent person would actually want to read--well. It's beyond me.

On top of all of the above, she is so anchored to the Church that it seeps into her writings almost, it seems, accidently. I love that. She understands the Church, and it makes her stories more real to me than this world is that I'm living in. In that, she is merely following in the footsteps of the great authors of her time: Tolkien, Lewis, Chesterton, Belloc, MacDonald, Barfield, &tc. These are the great ones who inspire me to write.

Lord Peter inspires me to read. ;)

No comments: