20 April, 2006

This makes me laugh.

Maybe this is common knowledge, but I just found out. I thought I'd share the information, the insanity, and the overwhelming urge to snort. Evidently, tobacco companies are required to advertise against their own products. It's incredible, I know. But it's true. I saw a commercial on television urging kids not to smoke. I saw that it was put out by Phillip-Morris. 'That's odd,' I thought. 'Doesn't Phillip-Morris produce cigarettes?' I asked my parents and they told me that all tobacco companies must do this. I laughed. Surely not. Surely the government isn't so ridiculous as to order a company to sabotage it's own business.

Alas.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I read somewhere that Wal-Mart has training conferences for local businesses about how to compete with them.

Come again? I wonder if this is of their own initiative (which would be either nuts on their part, or insulting), or if it's another backwards federal government policy.