11 May, 2006

Brave woman, that.

I've never heard anything like this before. I've heard the 'good stewardship' argument, but nothing this in-depth. And Mrs. Colvin is right: nowhere does God give mankind stewardship over mankind. Other than to command us to multiply and fill the earth, that is.

_____________
In other news, I'm reading Moll Flanders. She is, I think, what Mrs. Badgermum would call a 'shameless hussy'. I'm about sixty pages from the end, and so far: she's been married five times (once to her half-brother, accidently), a mistress twice, had 10 children (half survived childhood), and stolen enough to make a small fortune-- and she's only forty-five years old. The woman is incredible, in the original (Latin) sense of the word. On the other hand, I learned a new word for harlot: trull.

2 comments:

Elaienar said...

For some reason, one wouldn't think that those would be the types of advantages one would get from reading Ancient Literature, but there it is. As far as I can tell, all I ever got out of Shakespeare and every other author within a hundred years of his time were some very interesting archaic insults.

Miss Puritan Chickie said...

Yes...

It does help you develop a sense of what good literature sounds like, and how you should write, but I like the new vocabulary the most.