22 July, 2006

Garage Saling is Oh, So Profitable

Recent purchases:

The Lord Peter Wimsey Cookbook--recipes based upon meals eaten in the book series. (An early birthday present from my mother.) (hardback)

The Instant Ethnic Foods Cookbook--recipes for herb & spice mixes from various culinary families: Greek, Italian, French, etc.

The Imperial Woman by Pearl S. Buck (hardback)

The Sword at Sunset by Rosemary Sutcliff (hardback)

The Viking Book of Poetry of the English-Speaking World, in two volumes (hardback)

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten boom, with John and Elizabeth Sherrill (hardback)

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury--an excellent and intriguing modern author- my favourite, if ever there was one.

And something that is not a book--a soft cheese strainer! On Monday, I will buy yoghurt and make cream cheese & whey. Then I will make salsa! Praise God from Whom all blessings flow.... ;)

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Mmm, salsa. I made a fresh batch a couple of weeks ago, and this time after letting it sit for a few days, I put it all into several quart size jars and refrigerated it. I remember how the first time we made it when you were here, I kept it at room temperature and after awhile it just got too tart. I guess it'll keep longer in the fridge.

I've also recently made batches of mayo, ketchup, and ginger ale. I wish my basement were cool enough that I could make larger quantities of this stuff at a time. As it is I can only make as much as will fit in the white fridge.

Miss Puritan Chickie said...

Mmm. Ginger ale? Sounds tasty. How did it turn out?

Kelly said...

Very nice - I think you'd like it. It's fizzy and sour, and we serve it with carbonated water the way Mrs. Fallon suggests. I like it much better than beer, and it's so refreshing.

Miss Puritan Chickie said...

I've read the recipe several times, and I've thought that I would like to try it someday. Perhaps soon. With your recommendation, it deserves a place in my recipe box!

Anonymous said...

Wooo! I totally make up 1/3rd of your links list, go me.

Miss Puritan Chickie said...

-2 n00b.