04 October, 2006

To be a book-collector is to combine the worst characteristics of a dope fiend with those of a miser.

(Quote by Robertson Davies)
This post is merely a list, or rather a group of lists, based upon one of my life mottoes, as quoted in the title.
My recent conquests:
1. Read:
(In September)
- The Diamond Age, by Neil Stephenson
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, by Philip K. Dick
- The Flying Inn, by G.K. Chesterton
- The Hundred Secret Senses, by Amy Tan
- Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery

2. Purchased:
By C.S. Lewis- Present Concerns, a collection of essays; Narrative Poems, huzzah!; and Perelandra. All in paperback, I regret to say.
The Warden and Barchester Towers, by Anthony Trollope, in one volume. Hardback.
Lilith, by George MacDonald, with an introduction by C.S. Lewis Paperback.
Two pocket-sized books of verse: 1. Milton and 2. Selections from Wordsworth, Shelley, and Keats.
And an eight-volume set of Dickens. Hardback!
In volumes one and two: Oliver Twist,
In vols. two and three: A Tale of Two Cities,
In vols. four and five: Pickwick Papers,
In vols. six, seven, and eight: David Copperfield, and
In vol. eight: A Christmas Carol.
So you can see the whole set is very confusing. The best part is the set was only eight dollars.

And two other things which are completely non-germane:
1. Really Raw Honey is simply wonderful.
2. I'm going to visit R & C for a week with mon pere et ma mere. We're leaving on Friday morning, quite early. I'll be sure to write when I'm back and let you all know how the visit went.

I'm sorry if I post too many lists. I know I am supposed to be writing, and lists don't count for that. I promise I'll do better next time...

1 comment:

Kelly said...

We're reading The Warden in the evenings now - Trollope is one Victorian I actually like.
:-)

Y'all have fun at R&C's!