15 November, 2006

Chicken Parmesan

I'm fairly certain that this is a fit subject for this blog, considering how I got the recipe. A's birthday dinner was Monday night, and he requested that I make Chicken Parmesan. Never having eaten it, I had no idea what it even was. But I looked up some recipes and decided it looked pretty simple, so I made up my own recipe as we went along. Mom and K helped me chop and stir and set the table. We sat down to eat and lo and behold! it was excellent. I couldn't believe that I'd never had it before. I'm definitely making Chicken Parmesan again. Meanwhile, here's my recipe:

Chicken Parmesan a la Miss Puritan Chickie: serves 10 adults
Marinara sauce:
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
3 or so cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon or so basil
2 cans tomato sauce
------
Chicken:
5 lb. pkg. chicken breasts, thawed, pounded flat, and halved
3/4 cup flour, seasoned with herbs,** salt, and pepper
1 egg, beaten with about 3 tablespoons milk
1 pkg. crackers, crushed and seasoned with herbs** (no salt!), plus 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
3/4 lb. or thereabouts of Mozzarella cheese

Sauté garlic in oil, remove from heat. Stir in basil and let sit a few minutes. Add tomato sauce.
Dip chicken breast halves in flour, then egg, then crumbs. Pan fry until golden brown on both sides. Pour marinara sauce into a casserole dish and lay chicken pieces on top. Cover chicken with slices of mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes. Serve on top of pasta (angel hair is great).
**I used an herb blend from our local farm market. It's a mix of oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, basil, and sage.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

It was very yummy! Thanks for treating us to a great meal, Kelly - I mean, Miss Chickie. ;)