05 January, 2007

Epiphanies

I'm sad to have missed the rest of the days of Christmas, but I've been a little busy. So, now that I have a moment, I'll just let you all in on a few things I've learned in the past three days of teaching first and second grade.

1. I hate Abeka curriculum with a passion.
2. Evidently, I can't tell the difference between a long vowel and a short vowel.
3. I forgot. That's what happens when all you've been saying all day consists of these six phrases (or variants of the same):
-Sit down.
-Stop talking.
-Obey me the first time.
-Meg! Stop!
-Do your work.
-Turn around and sit correctly in your chair.

I now understand (actually understand) why homeschooling the Veritas/Abeka way is ridiculous in the extreme. Why would you want to try to teach that many subjects at once, with that much material in each one? Give me a break!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Bless your heart. Abeka is an improvement over the government school education I received, but then you know... east, west, home is best. ;-)

What are you using for read-aloud?

Miss Puritan Chickie said...

Ginger Pye and Just So Stories. They also have reading circle with Abeka-provided readers. We haven't gotten to that yet, but we're starting Monday.

They love Just So Stories. They think they're funny, and they like the pictures. Good recommendation! :)