20 March, 2007

Spring Break

I have made a huge mistake.

I've been reading Fast Food Nation in my free time this week, and it is disgusting. After learning a few things about the modern-day cattle business, I now feel completely justified in not liking ground beef and in refusing to eat at fast food restaurants. However, I'm also having trouble wanting to eat any meat now...this makes things difficult. Do I eat the nasty meat, origins unknown? Or do I go hungry? Obviously, I cannot go hungry. The alternative to the scary meat is expensive, though. So I've decided: whoever's gonna marry me had better do it quick, so we can get that farm going.

In the meantime, here's a neat website that I've been looking at: www.eatwild.com. They have state-by state lists of grass-fed, anti-antibiotic, hormone-free meat suppliers.

Also, Fast Food Nation has a story in it about a Frenchman named José Bové who ran his tractor into a McDonald's. He also came up with this great slogan : "Non à McMerde!" which (if one wishes to be less offensive) roughly translates to "No to McPoo!". There's another story about a couple of friends who were sued for libel by McDonald's and managed to drag out the trial eleven years and drag McDonald's through the mud while they were at it. You can read about that by googling Helen Steel, Dave Morris, and McLibel. It's a great story.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Mike has bought 1/8 of a cow from someone at work, which we should be getting this week. That translates into about 100 lbs of meat, and I'm getting the bones, too, so I can make stock out of it.

Between looking forward to that and having our own meat birds, we haven't bought meat in the grocery store in months. It's been my dream since high school when I first learnt of the crap that goes on in the meat industry.

In the meantime, I had to learn how to be thankful for all my food, even the stuff I knew was just Bad. It's a hard thing to learn.

Thanks for the link! Looks good.

(Katherine and Anne Marie are on their way home now - traveling by train from Little Rock. They'll be home tomorrow night! Woo hoo!)

Miss Puritan Chickie said...

Yay! Meat! We bought half a cow a couple of years ago, and it lasted a good while. It was quite nice.

I'm glad you've been able to send Katherine to help your sister. It must be comforting to know that someone is able to take care of her when you cannot.

How long will Anne Marie be staying with you?

Kelly said...

She's been here for just over a week now, and goes home on Monday. Stephen's going with her so he can spend time with my mom and stepdad, hopefully helping Pa work on the house he's rebuilding.

I'm meeting Mom in Knoxville and she'll take them the rest of the way home.

Hey, Mike and I ate supper with Robert and Cathryn Tuesday night. I should call her and let her know I'll be back in the neighborhood Monday. They're so sweet.

Miss Puritan Chickie said...

Yes, I heard that they got to spend some time with you two. That's great!

They're coming down at the end of April for John's wedding. Then Dad, Mom, and I are going up there around 1 July. Mom and I will stay for a few weeks, then bus to Montana to see my new baby cousin. Then we'll bus home again. Quite a trip! Is there any chance that we'll see you?