12 July, 2008

Reading Material

I've been reading some interesting things lately, and I thought I'd share them with you all. Funny thing, the same person recommended all of them. I think I'll have to pay more attention to what he reads in future. I don't want to miss anything good.

The first is an article in the New Yorker, about itching. It's slightly disturbing (medically speaking) at the beginning, but don't worry, it's just that one little part. I really enjoyed this article. I've been learning quite a bit lately about how interconnected our bodies are, and this was one of the best things I'd read on the subject.

The second interesting thing is this book. I got it from the library and let it sit on my shelf for a week or so, because it just looked boring. I got it because it was recommended, but my heart really wasn't in it. I did pick it up, finally, and I couldn't have been more wrong. It is not boring in the least. It is one of the most interesting books I've read in a long time. I'm having fun reading along and learning about parasitic wasp larvae and hemochromatosis and how you'll get more sunburned if you wear sunglasses. The author has been ensnared by the current evolutionary mindset, so be prepared to filter.

The third, and last, interesting thing isn't medical or scientific (well, not hard science anyway). I suppose it's more related to the social sciences. It's an article on procrastination. I can definitely relate to using type B activities in order to avoid a type C. I'm currently putting off getting my visa photos taken, so that I can avoid thinking about going to France for 9 months. I'm putting it off by blogging. I never blog. See how bad it's becoming?

The author of the procrastination article, Paul Graham, has some other good articles on his website. Quite a few of them are on computer things that I don't know about, but others are about politics or nerdiness. I especially liked "Writing, Briefly".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're invited to come watch a movie with me at Cheyney tonight, but admission is four passport size photos.

Miss Puritan Chickie said...

Boo. I don't have them yet. But you'll be happy to know that I missed the movie last night because I was cultivating my relationship with my sister-in-law and her family.

Guess what my sister-in-law's sister said? She said that when she first met me, she didn't like me. She thought I was a snob. But now, she likes me and thinks I'm nice. Hilarious!