03 March, 2007

Another Winner from Sora Colvin

I've been catching up a bit on my blog-reading this morning, and I ran across a good post by Mrs. Colvin. On 17 February, she compared classical education and homeschooling. I have to say, I completely agree with her. She wrote several things that I've been thinking of lately, such as:

"...what is efficient for the teachers and administrators is terribly inefficient -- for the student."

and,

"Simply "managing" -- or, less charitably, "babysitting" -- a group of 20 seven year olds, keeping them attentive and on task as a group, takes a great part of the school day. "

I only have nine and it is extremely difficult to keep their attention. They all work at different paces, and they all want my attention in the same way. They also feed off of each other- one stops working and misbehaves, and the rest join right in. Of course they do! They're seven! Tell me again why we're running the school this way?

I can't wait to school my own children.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Did you see the link she posted to the Atlas School at Cindy's blog (Dominion Family)? It's a much more sensible and I think truly classical approach to a classroom school setting.

She and Matt just spent a few days in Moscow and the fact that they've said they're going to have to leave Texada this summer, and that Matt really needs to be teaching, makes me think he applied for a position there - which I think would be perfect, and pray it works out for them.

Miss Puritan Chickie said...

Oh, yes! I have seen that webpage before, although I'm not sure where... It's a nice, small school. I like that.