07 September, 2007

Part Three

Oy, this story is long.

Right. So, I met the Roises, and they are all very nice. I enjoyed the few days I had with them. They had an appointment in Portland for Nelly, so they left Monday morning. They let me stay at their house while they were gone. That first night was not so great; it hit me all at once that I was alone and far away from home. I was tired out from travelling and I didn't know anyone there. And I was hungry. That tends to make everything worse. So I ate some dinner, drank some beer, and went to bed.

Next day I was feeling better, and I had a good time at the conference. The speakers were hilarious and very good. I met a nice lady from Texas and she took me under her wing for the rest of the trip. She's six feet tall, so we got along very well. We ran around all over downtown Moscow; we saw the Kenworthy Theatre, NSA, Mark Beauchamp's bookshop, Bucer's, the local Greek restuarant, West of Paris...it was fun. I met some people from NSA, and they were all very kind. They were genuinely interested in me and my plans. Moscow is a nice little town; I'm really looking forward to living there for a couple of years.

I caught a ride up to the airport in Spokane and flew home on the ninth. It was so nice to have such a short trip. Even my layover was pleasant! I met an NSA student in Virginia (Alexander) who was there for a short visit. I saw him again in Idaho, and he gave me a ride to the airport. His brother, Nate, was on the same flight as I, so we got to hang out a bit. We had dinner and beer together in Colorado and talked about school and the Lord of the Rings. It was nice. It was nice to finally get home, too. I was home in time for my birthday, and I get to sleep in my own bed now, in my own room with my own books.

Quite a journey, eh? I don't know if I'd like to ever do that again, but it was interesting. And it makes for some great stories.

There it is. Questions?

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow - that was some trip and you were awfully brave to do it.

I think I saw a picture of you in the TrinityFest album that Doug Wilson linked to. Have you noticed yourself?

So - I seem to remember your plan is to work this year and start at NSA in the fall of next year. Is that right? Are you still teaching at the same school or doing something else?

I've gotten so behind. :-(

Miss Puritan Chickie said...

I didn't see me...but maybe I missed it. I'll have to look again.

The plan is still the same: save money this year, go to school next year. I think I'll only go for two years (associate's degree) because it's so much cheaper than four!

Miss Puritan Chickie said...

Nope. I checked, and there aren't any pictures of me. I just realised, besides, that you don't know what I look like now! I got a haircut and my hair went all curly.

Kelly said...

Well, if your hair's different then it probably isn't you because what I saw was a vague profile with hair that looked like yours.

It's in this picture - the tall girl standing in front of the white screen, behind the dancing girl in the black and white dress with her arm across her face.

Kelly said...

(...not to be confused with the dancing girl in the white and black dress dancing with the rubber man)

Miss Puritan Chickie said...

My goodness! You did a very thorough search! But no, I didn't go to the swing dance. That was the night that I went home and went to bed.