21 October, 2007

Catch-up

Right. Sorry I sort of dropped you and then forgot all about you. I've been very busy, you know. Not too busy to post, but busy enough to try to use it as an excuse! I understand if you don't forgive me. While you're deciding whether or not to accept my apology and renew your hopes that I'll remember to post more often, why don't I tell you what I've been doing and thinking lately?

I've been reading quite a bit. Mark Beauchamp (Moscow, ID) recommended an author to me while I was there: Terry Pratchett. He is hilarious and I have been devouring every one of his books I can get my hands on. I also found some new dystopian fiction that I'm reviewing. I didn't get to do much reading earlier this year, so I'm making up for that lack now.

I went to the library book sale on Friday & Saturday (I'll be going to the $3/bag sale on Monday) and I found some good books. I got David some books on body language (he likes to read people), Paige & Kelly some gardening books, and some hardback classics for me. Also a book on cryptography and two on shorthand. I'm going to learn and it will be such fun! ("'Amusing', or 'quite diverting', dear, but never 'such fun'!")

I've been studying algebra in preparation for taking the ACT this coming Saturday. As in, six days from now. I really hope that I don't fail miserably.

I'm looking into making some natural cleaning solutions for my housecleaning "business". I've had headaches and sinus troubles ever since I started. No wonder, either, what with all those dangerous chemicals I've been inhaling five or six hours a week! I think proper ventilation would help, too, but these houses all have air-conditioning and they feel quite sealed-up.

I found an interesting website (they sell hats!) that I thought Mrs. Badgermum might like to see: www.queenofhats.com. They have a few hats for men, too, but the women's hats are prolific! Actually, you should look at this post on Haute*Nature about millinery. There are a dozen or so links to some very interesting hatmakers.

I've been thinking about mimetic desire and scapegoating lately, as Doug Wilson has been posting some interesting things about Rene Girard. I got the Girard Reader from the library, and have started reading. It's very enlightening. I definitely need to read more.

That's all for today; I'll try to post again sometime this week and tell you about the other books I've been reading.

No comments: