23 February, 2008

Interlibrary Loans Are Great.

Thanks to interlibrary loans, I have these books on my shelf right now:
Life Without Bread,
The Fourfold Path to Healing,
Relearning to See, and
Better Eyesight without Glasses.

Hooray for the library!

Life Without Bread is good so far: right off the bat, the authors recommend only six bread units (bu) per day- that amounts to 72 grams of utilisable carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are in some vegetables and dairy products, as well as in all of the obvious foods (pasta, grains, sweets, and fruits). They count a cup of whole milk as one bu, but I decided not to count milk at all. I drink enough milk in a day to use up all of my allotted bread units! Which means I can't eat yoghurt, vegetables, avocados, molasses, beans, OR kombucha if I count milk!

The book is very helpful, though. Right away, I was reminded that I eat way too much bread and too many potatoes. I had been eating half of a bagel with butter in the morning- I definitely don't need that. If I'm not careful, I slide into eating carbs instead of meat or fat. I like those quick fixes, but my adrenals don't!

No comments: